Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 13: Valdez to Tok



Keystone Canyon




Keystone Canyon




Horsetail Falls
Break time on the way out of Valdez
Remember to check the rear view mirror for awesome views!

August 12/2010: Another late start today and it took us forever to make the trip from Valdez to Tok (pronounced "toke") as we both kept falling asleep and had to stop for rest breaks.


We saw two bears, and spent some time investigating an ominous sound from coming from Bitchy Linda's rear brake.

Downtown Tok
You don't want to break down in Tok.
Tok auto repair. You can check in anytime you want, but you can never leave.

My white breakfast: I only ordered this Musher's Omelet because the waitress told me they were out of the accompanying gravy. She was all smiles when she located a secret stash of the gravy, smothered my breakfast in it and then proudly presented the dish at our table.  It was....interesting.



Once we arrived in Tok, we visited Fast Eddie's again for dinner. We actually had a salad! Let's just say that our "on the road" diet hasn't been exactly balanced. We've had chips for breakfast and cookies for dinner. This Fast Eddie's salad is actually just the second portion of vegetables we've had on our trip. (Or do french fries count as a veg?) In 13 days my riding gear has become so tight that I'm going to have to diet just so I can make the trip home. So, sadly, there is no Fast Eddie's dessert for me. Bummer, because they had four kinds of pie!  Mmmmm....pie.

The pilfered creamers.
Hailey stole some flavoured creamer from the restaurant, which subsequently burst and made a mess of her tank bag. That's karma for you. Then later, I discovered that the butane stove AND the gasoline water remover had spilled all over the safety gear, sleeping bags and my clothes. We spent a fun evening watching Jay Leno and wiping off our stuff. Of course the room ended up smelling like a garage as did my clothes. Hmm, I wonder if this will keep the bugs at bay?

No comments: